Broome County Child Advocacy Center
THE BROOME COUNTY CHILD ADVOCACY CENTER opened in July 1997. As of December 2012, 2,650 children have come through its doors. That is by no means all children reported to be victims of sexual abuse during this period of time. An estimated 250-300 children are reported annually to be victims of child sexual abuse in Broome County alone.
- Nationally, 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys will be victims of sexual abuse.
- An estimated 250 cases of child sexual abuse are reported annually within Broome County.
You are not alone.
The Child Advocacy Center has been providing services to children and families since 1997. The C.A.C. aims to begin the healing process for victims of sexual abuse as soon as possible. Our goals include:
- Providing a safe, child friendly, controlled setting for the investigative interview.
- Reducing the number of times a child must tell the same information to different people.
- Coordinating the sharing of appropriate case information between investigative partners.
- Providing a multidisciplinary approach to the investigation.
- Providing referrals to medical exam specialists.
- Providing a Family Liaison for support, education, and crisis intervention counseling.
- Providing linkage to other appropriate treatment services.
- Reducing the ‘system trauma’ that can accompany these cases; striving to do no further harm.
- Providing education, support and assistance to the community around issues of child sexual abuse.
- Giving greater assurance that justice can be served; that offenders will be held accountable and innocent parties will be exonerated in a timely manner.
In order to utilize the services of the
CHILD ADVOCACY CENTER,
incidents of suspected child abuse must be reported,
either to the
State Child Abuse Hotline OR to the Police.
If your child or a child you know has been abused:
*stay as calm as possible
*call the NYS Child Abuse Hotline
YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT